Dr Rupert Ransford is a Specialist Gastroenterologist who undertakes a wide range of endoscopic and colonoscopic procedures. He has particularly specialised in bowel cancer screening and is the nationally accredited bowel cancer screening colonoscopist for Herefordshire. He also has a particular interest in Coeliac disease, having undertaken a major research thesis in this area. He has been fully trained in bile duct telescope techniques (ERCP) and is an accredited trainer in this field.
Training and Experience
Dr. Rupert Ransford was born and brought up in Herefordshire, training at St. George’s Medical School in London, where he qualified in 1988. After initial junior posts in London and then Gloucestershire, he undertook his first Registrar post in Hereford in 1991
Research into Coeliac Disease
Following an interesting year in General Practice he successfully undertook a five-year training programme in Birmingham in specialist gastroenterology. During this time he researched into the link between anaemia and Coeliac disease culminating in the award of MD for his thesis by Birmingham University, This research was published and presented both in the UK, Europe and North America. He has continued to support research activities through the Midland Gastroenterology Society for which he is now the Treasurer.
Bowel Cancer Screening Programme
He has recently taken up the position of British Society of Gastroenterology representative for the West Midlands and sits on their National Clinical Standards committee. He has developed his endoscopic and colonoscopic expertise and was instrumental in setting up the Bowel Cancer Screening Programme in Herefordshire and Worcestershire, which has been very successful and been reported on in local press and media coverage.
He regularly attends national specialist meetings and is a training faculty member for the Wolverhampton Colonoscopy Training Programme.
Dr. Ransford provides a high quality, approachable, holistic service and enjoys keeping up with innovative techniques in the exciting field of gastroenterology.
- MD Thesis: Screening for Adult Coeliac Disease and Prospective Investigation of Iron Deficiency Anaemia (University of Birmingham)
- Ransford RAJ, Hayes M, Palmer M, Hall MJ. A controlled, perspective screening study of coeliac disease presenting as iron deficiency anaemia. Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology. 2002;34(3):228-233.
- Ransford RAJ & Langman MJS. Sulfasalazine and mesalazine: serious adverse reactions re-evaluated. Gut 2002 51(4):536-9.
- Ransford RAJ "et al", Effect of lengthening the waiting list in liver transplantation. Gut 2000;47(3):441-443.
- Ransford RAJ, Jankowski JAZ. Genetic versus environmental interactions in the oesophagitis-metaplasia-dysplasia-adenocarcinoma sequence of Barretts oesophagus (Review). Acta Gastro-Enterologica Belgica 2000;63:18-21.
- Ransford RAJ and Jones BJM. 1000 weeks of Home Parenteral Nutrition in a District General Hospital. Journal of Intensive Care, 2000 and Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 1998.
- Ransford R. Ultrasound and obstructive jaundice. International Journal of Gastroenterology 1999;4(2):17-19.
- Ransford RAJ. Letter re: Relation between Oesophageal Acid Exposure and Healing of Oesophagitis with Omeprazole. Gut 1996;39:889.
- Endoscopy, Flexible Sigmoidoscopy, Colonoscopy and ERCP
- Dyspepsia, Reflux Disease
- Gallstones, Jaundice, Liver Disease
- Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn’s Disease, Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Coeliac Disease, Anaemia, Colonic Polyps, Bowel Cancer Screening
- Abdominal Pain, Constipation, Diarrhoea, Rectal Bleeding
- CT Colonography (CT of large bowel) and MRI of Small Bowel
Dr Ransford is married with three daughters and is a keen horseman.
- Consultant Gastroenterologist Nuffield Health Hereford Hospital
- Consultant Gastroenterologist at Hereford County Hospital
- Clinical Lead for Endoscopy Hereford County Hospital
- Upper GI cancer lead Hereford County Hospital
- Accredited colonoscopist Hereford and Worcester Bowel Cancer Screening Programme
Conditions investigated and managed:
- Abdominal symptoms
- Indigestion and heartburn
- Difficulty swallowing
- Altered Bowel Habit
- Diarrhoea/ loose stools
- Rectal bleeding
- Nausea and vomiting
- Inflammatory bowel disease – Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Coeliac disease
- Barrett’s Oesophagus
- Duodenal Ulceration
- Gastric ulceration
- Gastro oesophageal reflux disease
- Hiatus Hernia
- Epigastric pain
- Non Cardiac Chest Pain
- Oesophageal Stricture
- Oesophageal Varices
- Helicobacter pylori
- Liver Disease
- Autoimmune Hepatitis
- Primary Biliary Cirrhosis
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Crohn’s disease
- Colorectal Cancer Screening
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
- Upper GI endoscopy
To find out more about Dr. Ransford and his team, please
To find out more about the procedures we carry out, please
To find out more about Diets and how they can help you, please